Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Those Sublime Nan Stetter Sloppy Joes

Best Sloppy Joe ever, courtesy of family friend Nancy Bokelmann Stetter
My hubby GB's mom lived next to Nancy and her family from 1955 until around 2000 and a deep deep friendship flourished and the Blytone-Bokelmann clan became family which remains to this day. Though GB's mom is gone, we still connect to each other. Nan gifted me her absolute perfection of a sloppy joe recipe about 40 or so years ago, shortly after GB and I were married. I've never wavered from it and every time I make it, it gets rave reviews! Thank you, Nan!!

All ingredient amounts are estimates. Nan's recipe calls for Heinz ketchup. I use Heinz Chili Sauce instead as it's not as sweet. Whatever, it must be Heinz!


Brown in butter: 
1/3 C. diced celery (celery salt can be substituted)
1/3 C. diced onion
1 1/2 lbs. hamburger

Drain fat, then add:
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. Lea & Perrin Worchestershire sauce
2 t. Coleman's dry mustard (French's does in a pinch)
cayenne pepper to taste (we like it with a BITE)
1 12 oz. bottle Heinz chili sauce (or equivalent 12 oz. Heinz ketchup)
1 12 oz. bottle full of water

Stir well and simmer until thickened. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Serve on hamburger bun. (I've fallen in love with brioche buns - that's one in the above photo - and serve the sloppys on those.) I always add more vinegar, Worchestershire and mustard - sometimes I give it a squirt of French's yellow mustard. You need to be sure it's cooked down so the flavors blend and intensify. Cayenne adds a nice kick! Enjoy!



~~~

YUM!

'till we feast again! 
xoabb

No comments:

Post a Comment