Saturday, March 16, 2019

Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins

Woulda looked better with two jalapeno slices on top...

Got muffin pans for dad's kitchen as the ones that were still there were vintage 1940's, and while their pressed designs were retro and lovely, everything stuck to them, no matter how well they were greased! My poor sis made mini meatloaves for dad and her one night while she was visiting. She told me that even though she'd greased them and even with the fat of the meat, she absolutely couldn't get them out of the muffin tin in one piece. Off I went to Amazon.com to see what I could find. And I found them! They're teflon, but unlike the usually flimsy teflon baking pieces that are hard to control, this brand has a metal surround and handles that keeps everything upright and spill-proof. (You can find the two I bought here and here.) 
The other day, I'd made Red Lentil Chili for dinner for Dad and I and our family friend Paul. Dad and I thought we needed something more than just chili and toppings, so I decided to venture into making Jalapeno Corn Muffins. As I'm definitely not much of a baker, this was the first time I'd ever attempted to make any! After perusing many recipes online, I settled on the below take - that was heavily inspired by a recipe on the food blog isabeleats.com (you can find the original recipe here). It turned out to be a delicious winner! 

1 C., rounded, coarse-ground cornmeal (Bob's Red Mill)
1 C. white flour
1/4 C. sugar
1 rounded T. baking powder
salt to taste
1 C. milk
2 large eggs
6 T. melted unsalted (always) butter
1/4 C. or so shredded cheddar (no more than 1/4 C.)
3 jalapeño peppers, seeds, spines and all, coarsely diced
1 15.20 oz. canned yellow corn, drained - reserve liquid

1 - 2  whole jalapeños sliced into rings

Preheat oven to 400º. 
Place all dry ingredients in the bowl of a Cuisinart and pulse to mix. Add the wet ingredients and pulse to mix. Add the jalapeños and cheese and pulse until the peppers are the consistency you want. Remove to a bowl and stir in the drained corn. (At this point, if batter is too heavy, add the corn liquid, a bit at a time, until you get the consistency you want.) Spray the teflon muffin pans (not necessary, but I did) and divide the batter evenly between the cups, all about 3/4's full.  (I filled the six regular sized cups you see above and about 8 of the half-size 12-cup muffin pan.) Place 1 - 2 rings on top of each filled cup. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the large cups comes out clean. Remove muffins from the pans to a cooling rack. 
If you're using two different sized muffin pans, as I did, bake the larger pan about 5 - 6 minutes, then add the smaller pan to the oven and continue baking another 10 - 12 minutes.

Serve warm with sides of unsalted butter and honey. 

Delicious with chili! This could also be baked in a well-greased cast iron skillet. 


~~~

'till we feast again! 

xoabb

No comments:

Post a Comment