Saturday, February 16, 2019

Tasty Tuna Melts

Ready for the broiler!

Until last night, I'd never eaten a tuna melt, let alone made one! Last night, I discovered we had no food in the house that wasn't frozen and I really didn't want to go to the grocery store, so I gathered the cans of tuna that were in the pantry and racked my brain trying to come up with something to do with them. Hmmm...tuna melts! Never made them, but how hard could it be? Not hard at all, it turned out - and delicious to boot. 

As is usual with my recipes, the amounts of everything is to your taste - and this would also be delicious with sweet pickle relish, red pepper, red onion or shallots, etc. Just add what you happen to have on hand. I usually buy tuna packed in water, but on had I had one of those and one packed in veggie oil, so that's what I used. And after tasting both the cans of tuna, the one packed in oil is much better tasting than the one packed in water. Calories tho...

2 cans albacore tuna, one in water, one in veggie oil, well drained
3-4 inner celery stalks, leaves included, finely chopped
3-4 green onions/scallions, green part included, finely chopped
1 t++ fresh grated black pepper (we like it with a pepper kick)
splash+ Pompeiian brand (my favorite) red wine vinegar
splash+ Heinz apple cider vinegar (favorite again)
1/4 - 1/3 C. Hellman's mayonnaise (yep, favorite)
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or any good melting cheese
2 - 3 slices peasant/country hearth bread, toasted

Heat the broiler. 
In a bowl, mix together ingredients through the vinegars. Taste and correct for seasonings or other ingredients. Add the mayonnaise, a spoonful at a time, until you have the consistency you like (I like it to be not overly mayonnaisy so that the other flavors shine through). Spread mayonnaise on the toast pieces and then spoon the tuna mixture evenly on top. Cover the top with the cheese - be careful not to use too much. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve immediately. 
All melty and ready to go!

~~~

Yum!

'till we feast again!
xoabb

No comments:

Post a Comment